Via our component departments and partner organizations in Christchurch, we have access to a wide variety of specialist equipment, including fMRI, eyetracking, and motion tracking.
In addition, NZILBB has the following state of the art facilities located within our premises.
- A sound-treated Observation Lab, which forms a comfortable environment, while synching five video cameras, with multiple audio feeds, all controlled from a separate control room.
- A Perception Lab housing dual boot machines, typically running perception experiments using either e-Prime or Direct-RT.
- A PC Lab for students and research assistants to work on analysis and transcription. Machines are installed with a range of analysis software, including ELAN, Transcriber, Praat and R, as well as experiment designing software.
- A Sound Booth, incorporating Earthworks measurement microphones and preamplifiers.
- The Northern Digital WAVES electromagnetic tracking system - this is an exciting non-line-of-sight motion capture system specifically designed for tracking speech related articulatory orofacial movements. It provides a non-invasive measurement system in which the subject is free to move naturally during the experiment.
- Portable GE ultrasound system.
- Tobii eye tracker system which is housed at the Child Language Centre.
- EEG Machine which is housed at the Child Languge Centre.
- Touch screen laptops which are suitable for the elderly or children to easily use where they can point to pictures displayed on the screen.
- A wide range of portable equipment suitable for audio recording at schools or in the home. This includes headmounted, table and lapel mics, USB preamplifiers, and TASCAM and Zoom H4N digital recorders.
- High quality portable video cameras to gather data for our research projects.
- LaBB-CAT software which stores corpora in a digitally interactive format, incorporating automatic phoneme alignment, and factors such as speech rate calculation, as well as multiple added layers of analysis.
- The Brain Box, which is the NZILBB seminar room, complete with audio visual suite and kitchen. It is a great place to hear a seminar or brainstorm with colleagues.